Wednesday, November 16, 2005

NaNoWriMo – Day 16 (11/16/2005)

Barney

“Who’s he?” I ask Earl.

“Dunno. Some guy named Simon. He came in with Danny this morning after his shift … quit his job this morning, apparently.”

“Quit his job and he needs to go for a drink by noon? Doesn’t seem right.”

“He said somethin about ‘they were gonna fire me, so I quit instead,’ or somethin like that.”

They’re looking over at us as we chat by the bar and it occurs to me that I haven’t acknowledged the man’s offer yet. I give an upward nod of my head at them and say, “Thanks gents. I’ll be right over, just as soon as I sort this feller out and set him about his business.

“Still on it, are ya?” Earl asks me, smiling wide.

“I just want some decent service,” I tell him, doing my best to keep a razor straight face, but the corners of my mouth turn up slightly in a smile, giving me away. I never was a very good liar. Good enough to get away with stuff, I suppose, but not good enough to really pull the wool over someone’s eyes. “Now get going on those drinks, will you?”

He smiles even wider and gives me a pat on the shoulder. He’s a good man, that Earl. I don’t know where he’d be if I didn’t come in here everyday and keep him in business. Then again, I don’t know where I’d be if I had to go somewhere else to get my daily dose. He heads around the bar to get fixing the drinks and I walk over to where the two other men are sitting, in a booth on the opposite side of the bar.

“Mornin’ Gentlemen,” I say as I come beside the table.

“Hey Barnes,”

Standing, the new guy reaches out his hand to me. “Good to meet you, I’m Simon.”

I reach out and grasp his hand and give it two quick pumps. “Barney,” I say. “But people round here call me either ‘Barnes’ or ‘Fuckface.’”

“Fuckface it is, then!” pipes up Danny.

Simon smiles and I roll my eyes as I sit down.

“So, Simon … Earl tells me you quit your job today?”

Today’s word count: 368
Cumulative word count: 23,287

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home